The funding granted by the Ministry of Social Rights and Agenda 2030 to the Plastic Free Menorca Alliance, led by Menorca Preservation, will allow to continue strengthening the Action Plan for the reduction of plastic pollution in Menorca 2030. This plan sets out various actions aimed at raising awareness, promoting and encouraging the elimination of the use of plastics in Menorca in order to reduce plastic pollution in the island’s natural environment as much as possible.
In this way, the funding received will be used during this year to work in 6 areas:
- To provide information on the problem of plastics, the regulations and good practices for both the general public and the business sector.
- To continue promoting Plastic Free certification, which consists of advice and distinction for companies and organisations that reduce the use of plastic, ensuring that they comply with current regulations on waste.
- To install ten water fountains in busy public places, thereby reducing the use of plastic water bottles.
- To create a network of beach products reuse points, such as beach umbrellas, children’s games and floats, extending their life cycle.
- To launch an educational platform on the resources available to reduce the use of plastic, especially aimed at tourists. This will include key aspects such as certified companies, location of sources, beach product reuse points and other relevant information.
- To strengthen PescART Menorca, a circular economy project focused on the recycling of fishing nets for their reconversion into new economically viable products.
“Menorca has the opportunity as a Biosphere Reserve to become a key player in the fight against plastic pollution and we hope that these actions are the beginning of a collaborative effort to achieve this”.Marta Pérez López, Coordinator of Plastic Free Menorca Alliance
Follow all the developments of this project on the Plastic Free Menorca Alliance website.